The Big Scioty Contra Dance, Columbus
Southeastern Ohio Traditional Dance Society, Athens
Mayapple Stomp 2017
Izaak Walton Lodge, Lake Logan Ohio
Saturday-Sunday May 20-21, 2017
This mini-weekend has returned to its original location at Izaak Walton Lodge
on the shores of Lake Logan. Mayapple Stomp is hosted by Big Scioty Contra Dance
of Columbus and the Southeastern Ohio Traditional Dance Society of Athens, OH.
- Saturday May 20
2:00-3:45 Waltz Workshop led by Dale Shirer Grapvines, Pivots, Grace & Beauty. All experience levels encouraged to attend. Since this session will focus on specific moves, there will be something for everyone whether you are learning a new move or perfecting your form.
4:00-5:00 No Walk Thru Contra Dances music by Trillium, lead by Jan Phillips
5:00-5:30 Dance Medley music by Trillium lead by Jan Phillips, Margaret Goodman & Josh Moses
6:00 PM Potluck Dinner. Prizes awarded in three categories: Salad, Main Dish, and dessert.
Lemonade, water, coffee, tea and tableware supplied.
7:30-8:00 Waltz - Three Rivers Mini
8:00-9:45 Contra - Zeke's Fancy
9:45-10:15 Waltz - Three Rivers Mini
10:15-12:00 Contra - Dogwood (Dogwood - a band led by Michael Allen on fiddle, with
Bethany Schellin - fiddle, Jody Dorrell - harmony fiddle, Pat Wilcox - piano, Karen Mortland - mandolin, Pam Spence - guitar, & Jeanie Creamer - bass)
12:00-12:30 Waltz - Three Rivers Mini
12:30- Contra - music by Perin Ellsworth-Heller, Ben Hemmendinger and Evan Offenberger
- Sunday, May 21, Until Noon
Breakfast provided. Hang out, visit, open waltz and swing, singing, jamming by the lake.
Help clean up, then go for a hike at Old Man's Cave.
10:00-11:00 AM open waltzing with music by Three Rivers String Band
- Mayapple Stomp Call for Bands - Please share your music!
The band time slots have been filled. Thanks to everyone who has volunteered.
Complete the preregistration form and pay by credit card on Event Brite.
Preregistration will be open until Friday, May 18th at 11:30 PM.
All Weekend: Adults: $30, Youth(12-25): $20, Kids(under 12) $5
Saturday only: Adults: $25, Youth(12-25): 15, Kits(under 12) Free
- At the Door
Walk-ins are welcome, we'd love to see you! Cash or check accepted.
All weekend: Adults: $35, Youth(12-25): $25, Kids(under 12) $5
Saturday only: Adults: $25, Youth(12-25): $15, Kids(under 12) $Free
Mayapple T-Shirts are available at the dance
Kids are welcome to participate in all parts of Mayapple Stomp.
No childcare provided. Izaak Walton Lodge is on the shore of Lake Logan.
Children must be supervised
- Izaak Walton Lodge – 29740 Blosser Rd. Logan, OH 43138
Lake Logan is about halfway between Columbus and Athens, off US Route 33 (less than one hour from Columbus).
On the north side of Logan, take the exit for SR 664. Turn south/west onto SR 664 (toward Lake Logan).
Keeping the lake on your right, go 1.4 miles to where 664 makes a sharp left turn, and
turn right onto Blosser Rd. Go 0.7 miles to Izaak Walton Lodge on the right.
Park closely in the lot so all can fit.
- Free camping on site. There is running water and flush toilets, but no showers. Open fires are not allowed. For motels and cabins nearby visit Hocking Hills.com
- Help reduce plastic waste: bring your own water bottle. And even though we will bring water to put in the big drinking water and lemonade jugs, it would be great if each
dancer each brought a gallon or two for themselves, especially to keep at their campsite. The local water is very rustic.
Make it a Weekend Getaway
- The Hocking Hills has many beautiful sites at the Hocking Hills State Park and Lake Logan State Park, plus new attractions like zip lining, canoeing and horseback riding.
Visit Hocking Hills.com for details.
- A limited number of working scholarships are available, please contact Adriane Mohlenkamp at Athens Contradance or 740-590-4102.
- Photos by Ladybug Contra Photography https://www.facebook.com/LadybugContraPhoto/?ref=py_c